Dormition Church Mission Statement
Parish Mission Statement:
The faithful community of the Dormition of the Theotokos is a Greek Orthodox Church whose purpose is to preach faithfully and worshipfully the Gospel of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ to the faithful Orthodox Christians and people of the metropolitan area of Burlington, VT, and the USA, through the regulations of the Holy Archdiocese of America, the faith, the traditions, the teachings of the Fathers, the witness of the saints, the Canons of the Church, and the liturgical worship of the Holy Orthodox Church in its mission, outreach, and charitable work and so bring the light of our Lord's resurrection and life to the area and peoples.
Membership / Stewardship Statement:
Every baptized and chrismated Orthodox Christian is a member of the body of Christ, a steward of the Holy Church. The religious, moral, and social duties of members include the following:
- Adhering to and living according to the tenets of the Orthodox faith
- Faithfully attending the Divine Liturgy and other worship services on Sundays and weekdays
- Participating regularly in the holy sacraments
- Respecting all ecclesiastical authority and all governing bodies of the Church
- Being obedient in matters of the faith, practice, and ecclesiastical order
- Contributing toward the progress of the Church's sacred mission
- Being effective witnesses and examples of the Orthodox faith and tradition to all people
To be a steward and member in good standing, one cannot simply contribute a minimum financially, but must also actively participate in the aforementioned ways. Membership in the body of Christ is a commitment to taking up one's cross and following Christ. For any given community of Christians, it is only the dedication of its members that is the limit of its work. The Church is the Lord's and we are doing His work in it.